information below can be found by clicking here.
Eau Gallie was a city in Brevard County, Florida from 1857
to 1969 when citizens voted to merge with neighboring Melbourne,
Florida. It is now a small district in the north part of the
city, near the Eau Gallie Causeway. William Henry Gleason
founded the city. From 1874 to 1878 it served as the county
seat of Brevard County, Florida. In French, Eau Gallie means
"rocky water," named for the coquina rocks along
the shore of the Indian River Lagoon.
Although the area is part of Melbourne, some articles of
interest are often associated with the former town.
In 2003, Eau Gallie won a national American Planning Award
for its downtown redevelopment. A new sidewalk winds 8,100
feet down Pineapple Avenue; people sit outside in the evening,
walk or ride bikes. Streets in the area were paved, and lighting
was improved. An art gallery was established. Crime has decreased
and dilapidated buildings were torn down.
Eau Gallie contains a historic section with several notable
museums and houses. These include: the Brevard Art Museum,
the Historic Rossetter House Museum, the James Wadsworth Rossetter
House on the National Register of Historic Places, the Roesch
House and the Winchester Symphony House.